While you hear of individuals who are victims of identity theft, small business are just as vulnerable. Thieves us a businesses information to file fake returns or get credit cards. Since there have been a sharp increase in fraudulent returns here are some signs your business has been victimized.
1. The IRS rejects an e-filed return saying it already has one with that identification number
2. The IRS rejects an extension to file request saying it already has a return with that identification number
3. The filer receive an unexpected tax transcript
4. The filer receive an IRS notice that doesn't relate to anything they submitted
5. The filer doesn't receive expected or routine mailings from the IRS.